Friday, February 24, 2012

Trending to the Basket

Soooo.... Vinny from Jersey Shore date raped his way onto the roster of the NBA's Celebrity Game tonight.  He rallied his Twitter followers to advocate on his behalf in order to get selected.

Personally, I think this is great.  I already liked that Stern bowed to pressure to include Jeremy Lin in the newly formatted "Rising Stars" Challenge, and I like that fans get to vote on who gets into the All-Star game.  I understand the problems with fan selection.  You get guys like Jeter taking out 30 year morgages on their inclusion.  But ultimately you're selling a product, and you want fans to watch, and fans want to watch certain players.

So I think next year the NBA should go further in having fans vote for who makes the Celebrity Challenge.  Let people campaign through the NBA's website.  Let them get Twitter votes.  I'd be more inclined to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment