Sunday, January 22, 2012

Joe Paterno is Dead

I suppose the headline says it all.

I just don't have a lot to add to that. I take no glee in this, but I'm not exactly mourning anything, either. I tried taking a stab at a broader Penn State post a few times, but it was hard coming at it from an angle that wasn't already covered by a hundred thick-necked idiots who had already weighed in.

The one thing I will say is, if Paterno had held on for a few more years, the scandal might have been put in...perspective? It's not that it would fade, it's not that it should fade. But the wounds would've had some time to scab over, and people would have had less of a desire to spit when they say his name. They would have at least mentioned his career, though clearly no one would have said it all balanced out. Now, though, no one wants to hear about his career; they just want to curse at him.

I am not sure that this is a bad thing.

Anyway. Our thoughts are with his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment